Saturday, June 16, 2012

6/16/12 -- NYC (pt. 1)

So this is my official first post, and it's going to be all about what I've done in New York City so far!!

So.  I got here Thursday afternoon at about 3pm, because my first flight (at 6:40 in the morning -_-) was delayed because they overbooked it. So they stuck me on a plane to Milwaukee 3 hours later, and I had less than half an hour to get to my next flight from Milwaukee to NYC.  Woo. I made it though yay! Here are some pictures from my flight from Milwaukee to NYC:

                                       (About to go over Lake Michigan. Huge lake, holy crap)


                                               (Yay Manhattan! Future home I love you<3)


After Eden picked me up from the airport, the very first thing we did was go to the apartment we were staying at....and take a nap.  After 2 flights, both just over 2 hours each, I was dead freaking tired, but on the way to the apartment, I saw this:


Yes, to those of you who have seen the Avengers movie (if you haven't, go see it.  Seriously. It's amazing) that is indeed what is referenced periodically.  I found this rather amusing, and was rather excited about it. 

After our nap, we went to dinner with Eden's mom's friends Ava and Leon.  Those two are so cool, just saying.  We went to this Indian restaurant, and if I hadn't left both my phone and camera at the apartment like an idiot there would be pictures of this restaurant.  They had ridiculously colorful (with an emphasis on red) Christmas light hanging from the center of the ceiling and then down across to connect to the wall.  You couldn't see the ceiling it was so covered.  It was literally a tent of Christmas lights.  Also, if it's someone's birthday they turn off all the Christmas light and turn on one of those colorful disco ball things and this strange happy birthday song.  The food was really good too, it was awesome.  After that we went swing dancing, and it was so much fun.  There's a lot of really good dancers here, but no sense of unity like there is back in Orlando, at least not that I could see.

Yesterday (Friday), we woke up kinda late, and then went to Central Park.  I've been to New York so many times, but I've never seen Central Park.  So we walked through there a little bit, and then went to the Museum of Natural History.  They had a mineral room there, and I swear we spent over an hour in that room because it was absolutely fascinating (to me, anyway).  Instead of just listing what the mineral was, they organized them into groups like sulfides, phosphates and oxides, and gave the chemical formula for each one and some information on each group and it was just amazing.  It was like chemistry-fan-geek-overload in there for me.  I think Eden rather enjoyed watching me geek out all over the place.

For lunch we had NY pizza....yum. I'm pretty sure my favorite will always be legit white pizza.  So good. Yum. Then for dinner we went to "Hummus Place", which is really close to the apartment.  We had this tomato/cucumber/olive oil/lemon juice/cilantro/salt/purple-onion-things salad and hummus with tahini sauce on it.  So yummy, I'm going to start craving that salad, like for real.

After that is my favorite part so far.  We went to go get ice cream....but not just any ice cream, oh no.  We went to this place around the corner called "The Big Gay Ice Cream Shop"....I swear to you that's what it's called. Here's the website for proof that it exists: http://biggayicecream.com/
There was a huge line outside, so we figured it had to be amazing.  It was the best ice cream I have ever had.  We had the Monday Sundae, which is a cone lined with nutella, and then swirled chocolate/vanilla soft serve, topped with caramel, sea salt, and whipped cream.  Holy crap.  It was so good. I have a feeling I will now always be putting caramel, sea salt, and nutella on my ice cream.  Seriously, if you're ever in New York you absolutely have to try it. Also, inside they had a mural of a unicorn, which I of course took a picture with:


I thought that was pretty fantastic. 

So that's it so far, the agenda for today is Botanical Gardens and Times Square tonight, because Eden has been here for 6 days and still hasn't seen Times Square.  I'm pretty sure that's a crime.  Just saying.


See you next blog post,
-Panda:)

No comments:

Post a Comment